* All Partners were chosen among 50+ writing services by our Customer Satisfaction Team
What were some important events during the Romantic Period?
1820’s – first world wide recognition of American writers example.
. James Fenimore Cooper and Washington Irving. 1829-1836- Andrew Jackson Presidency: the rule of the common man. 1846-1848: The Mexican War ( political manifest destiny) 1861- 1865 : The Civil War.
What were some major themes of the Romantic Period?
1. Intuition2. conflict between body and spirit.
3. The nature of reality- is it known within or without?4. The nature of nature- benevolent or malevolent?5. The conflict between faith and doubt6. mystical experiences and revelation leading to the truth.
7. Nature and self as ways to find the truth beyond the bible. 8. Self Reliance- the importance of self or the individual9. The value of non conformity10. Utopian ideals – equality for all men.
11. Manifest Destiny of the U.S.12. Nobility of savage and the dignity of farmers.13. transcendentalism14.
The individual soul as part of the larger soul of God.
Wrote: The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. andThe Author’s Account of Himself. and Rip Van Winkle.
James Fenimore Cooper
Wrote: The Leather stocking Tales. He also wrote The Deerslayer and The Last of the Mohicans. Also wrote The Spy The Pioneers and The Pilot which was also the first sea novel.
William Cullen Bryant
Wrote: To a Waterfowl and To the Fringed Gentian
Edgar Allan Poe
Wrote: The Fall of the House of Usher, The Purloined Letter, Sonnet to Science and The Raven.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wrote: Self Reliance
Henry David Thoreau
Wrote: Civil Disobedience, and Walden
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
A fireside or schoolhouse poet known everywhere .
John Greenleaf Whittier
Humanitarianism activist fighting for the common man
Wrote the Gettysburg Address. Key points: led to civil war.It Captured the realities of idealism of war and the American Renaissance.It was graceful yet convicting.
It marked the Battle of Gettysburg as a turning point in our history. Honored 50,000 men killed and wounded. It is one of the greatest and most important speeches in American history.
Wrote: 336 poems
What is Transcendentalism?
It emphasized truths not received only through physical senses, but arrived through intuition. For example Mystical experiences.
Who were some authors of Transcendentalism?
Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Bronson Alcott, Margret Fuller and Nathaniel Hawthorne.
What is The Brahmins?
It is the highest caste in the Hindu society; Holmes humorously named the group for being high caste aristocratic Boston poets.
Who were The Brahmins?
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Oliver Wendell Homes James Russel LowellWilliam Cullen Bryant John Greenleaf Whitter They were called fireside, or schoolroom poets.